Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Liam has a problem. And Laura Beth doesn't remember what it is!

“Liam? Liam, it’s Vanessa. Listen, I’m on Dixon Road, almost to your house. Are you awake?”
           
“Nessie? It’s three in the morning. What’s wrong?”
           
“Nothing…”
           
“Why are you awake?”
            
“I need something from you, Liam. Do you remember when I told you I would help you find…”
            
“Ness, you’re drunk. You shouldn’t be driving.”
            
“I’m not, I’m walking.”
            
“Go home, Vanessa. Go to bed. I’ll call you in the morning.”
            
“Liam, I’m not drunk! Please listen to me! I can’t tell you everything now…I’m being followed. I’ll be at your house in a few minutes.”
            
Hanging up the phone, Liam stared blankly at the tile. A few seconds later, his father stumbled blindly into the light.
            
“Who was that, Son?”
            
“Nessie Roland,” he turned around and pulled a coffee mug out of the cabinet, and started to fill it with water from the sink, “She’s on her way over.”
            
“What? Now?”
            
“Mm hmm. She sounded pretty upset.” He rethought the mug and pulled out the coffee pot instead.
            
“She’s drunk, likely as not.”
            
“She’s not like that, Dad.”
            
“Plenty of good girls go out and get drunk once in a while.”
            
He wondered if Nessie would be averse to coming if she knew his father was home. She was a strong little thing, tough as nails, used to playing with the bad boys. In fact, he didn’t really think she wasn’t the kind to go out and drink, but he knew she wasn’t the kind to let herself out of control. Control. Vanessa Roland was always in control.
            
He sat down and sipped his coffee thoughtfully. Soon, his mind wandered beyond recapture. History exam tomorrow. Hated history. Paper to finish for Professor James. Need to work on that. Have barely started yet. Practice tomorrow…Eventually, one thought was indistinguishable from another. He drifted off to sleep.
           
“Liam? What are you doing down here? You’re going to be late for class.” His sister, Anna shook him awake.
            
“Wha…Dang! I’m late already!”
            
In the rush to get to history class on time, he forgot that Vanessa had never arrived the night before.   


Two months later, in a little coffee and wine shop across the street from University of Denver, a depressed-looking young man sagged. His face, once bright and cheerful, was worn, tired. He stared restlessly at his hands, as though he expected them to do something. His eyes were empty and lifeless. When his cell phone rang, he stared at it for a few seconds before reaching for it.

“Hello?”

“Mr. Liam Canaford? I’m afraid I have some bad news for you…” 

He bit his lip and closed his eyes. In the discombobulated thoughts running through his head, only one was clear: “I killed her.”

Hours later, he found himself on the front porch of a yellow house. He just stood there, motionless. Eventually, the door opened. His eyes met those watery, puffy eyes of the most beautiful face he thought he had ever seen.

“You better come in.”

“You must be Vanessa’s sister?”

“That’s me. Sophia.”   

“I…I just heard about…”

She nodded. She had the same controlled demeanor of her sister, “She was found with a piece of scrap paper in her pocket. I thought it might mean more to you than it means to me.”

He took the receipt that the young woman offered. Scrawled on the back were the letters, “NE 23 5.50. JmCr 34, 7.30.”

“It doesn't mean anything to me. Sorry.”

“No, no. It was a long shot anyway. Do…can you stay for a while?” She opened the door a little wider and ushered him inside.

“My mother was going through Nessie’s journals. She wrote everything down. Not saying we could understand any of it…”


Now what? I need help here, people! When I started this, I knew what the heck was going on. Now I don't remember. So, fellow writers and people who hate words with a passion alike, where should I take this? Or should I just leave it alone? Sound off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment